Wednesday 29 April 2009

About Phase Lapse



After Phase Lapse, I felt like I needed to take my time for a while before I could comment on our work. So now, as it is time for me to put my thoughts about my work and my expectations of my work in order I will face my own critique about the play.
As it is already known, Phase Lapse was a 20 min performance that happened on demand of the MA program and gave us another opportunity to work in groups. What I enjoyed the most as I was working on that was working with my group. Even though we barely new each other, our ideas seemed to have found their way of co-existing and evolving. From the beginning we separated the responsibilities and each one was working separately on her subject and once a week we would meet to discus, present our work and ideas, see if our point of view was approved or disapproved by the others being ready to change, revaluate our thoughts, merge our ideas or even negotiate on a matter and all these having in mind that we wanted to create something that would be harmonic and would make everyone happy as a final result. This was not always easy but in general I believe that being mature, enthusiastic about each other's work and of course supportive in the same time helped as a lot and this could be seen from the outcome.
The final performance in general touched a big percentage of our expectations. Of course, for me it was something that in order to be officially presented somewhere outside of an academic environment, it needed to be more worked. If we had more time, we would be able to perfect it, minimalize it much more. My personal critique about the sound and the movement is that while I wanted it to be more simple, I could not practically do it. The sound was helping Martina's movement. The sound was not minimal at all at many points because there was not enough time for me to rehearse and go through the procedure of cutting the descriptive parts both from the sound and the movement. This is something I have in my mind and I would be very interested in working after this course ends. 
Another moment of the play that I feel that was a bit violated and not totally "finished" was the ending. From the sound's point of view it became too cliché, the hooking of the dress was very time consuming for Martina and it made a gap in the continuity where there should not be. But this again was a matter of time in my opinion and I am really happy that even we could see it and we had the knowledge that something was not working very well. Why we did nothing to prevent it might be the question, but I will repeat myself once again and I will answer time and I am not saying that as an excuse.
Anyway, in general I think it was a nice performance, a balanced one and what made me happier about it was the response of the audience (even though there were not many because of the period the play was on). Most of the people I spoke with felt the atmosphere of a ritual (and this is something one could observe while the performance was taking place by the body language of the people), had their ideas about the mixture of cultures, had serious understanding of the symbolisms we used and the greatest they managed to surprise us by not leaving the place from the door they came in (and they were supposed to go out from) but by crossing the ideal corridor (stage) and passing by the still performer observing her for a bit as if she were some kind of a statue and then leave the place. For me that moment was magnificent because I felt like we did something. We had their interest, we had touched their minds for a bit and this is enough.

No comments: