Monday 6 April 2009

p#001 project proposal

Aim:
An exploration of the relationship between human nature and technology. This trial will allow me to experiment with:
-how I will be able to transform the actor's body so that it will look like an android.
-how can the actor's figure disappear in the space using simple optical illusion tricks.
-how I can communicate the idea of artificial Vs natural (when I say natural I mean whatever is not human made and affected by time -decomposes-.
-how the projections look like when the floor connected to the projection wall is made from reflective material (unification of space).

Methods:
I am going to use one actress(Martina) and transform her into an android, using only the basic characteristics of it.
In the space I will create a corridor (linearity/passing of time) made of reflective material. At the starting point of the performer's movement I will create a "shelter" made of the same material to create the optical illusion. At the ending point there will be the projection. The colors of the live performer will be cold/metallic while the colors of the projection will be warm and it will present organic shapes contradicting with the live performance through a digital medium.

Space:
For this project I want to use a neutral rectangular space. Challenging my aesthetics and my feeling of security this time I don;t want to use a black box space but to experiment with white surfaces. Due to these I think the Lecture Theatre of  Wimbledon College of Art is an extremely challenging space as it is mainly white but it also has some really interesting metallic characteristics on the walls. Additionally, the shape is perfect so that I will have the  opportunity to keep the lines of my set straight, severe and linear as I wish. Also, the lecture theatre is already equipped with a sound system and lights which are sufficient for the performance.

When:
27th of April 2009
time: tbc (in the evening as late as I can due to the natural light coming into the space).

Materials:
-1 projector/ extension cable (one already exists in the space so I need to find out if I can use this one or not)
-1 special light or one spotlight (cold color) above the corridor
-1 special light for the wall that I am making at this moment
-sound system (already exists in the space)
-big general lights (already exist in the space)
-ladder for setting up
-possibly technical support for hanging up the lights and placing the projector 
-reflective surface
-silver paint
-2 flats
-actress
-maybe two extra people to help me run the performance


No comments: